Friday, June 09, 2006

Confession

This is a diary, not a collection of letters, more thoughts that people think and rarely ever say - dull when I am feeling dull or revelatory when there is something to reveal. To anyone who may happen on it by accident, I cannot change to please.

Last night Mama and I dined with my uncle, her brother, Anton Pertl, who sang for our supper in the church at St Gilgen. He has a fine tenor voice. We ate two trouts apiece and had such bellyaches and looseness of stool that I never want to eat trout again. N

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find the whole American thing of "Wolfie" anathema.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wolfi and Wolferl are diminutives that were regularly used by the Mozart family. Wolfie is no different from Dave or Davy for David or Alex, Alexei for Alexander etc. Diminutives sound cloying if you're not one of the intimates perhaps, but most people use them, whatever nationality! N.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A propos: I am called Wolfi, Wofel, Wolferl, Wolgangerl, Wolfgango and a host of indelicate names which I will not disclose here in my dear Sister's public diary.

American indeed. Germans who move to America take their language with them!

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home